Monday

For Robin





I was the snack queen. "Was" because I have fallen out of the habit. I have somehow tricked myself into believing that buying granola bars (2 boxes for $5.00) was not going to add up and that with my husbands new job we would finally be able to afford these little extravagances. Guess what? They add up! By the time Sam takes one for lunch, Ellie has one for a snack and Andy takes 2 to work, the box is pretty much empty and that's just day one. Not only that, but I don't feel anyone is getting any actual nutrition. A whole lot of something, but nutrition is not it...

I have decided (this too could be fleeting) that it's time to rediscover my role as Queen. Ah, it suits me don't you think? There was a time I could make something out of nothing and not only was it healthy, it was delicious - at least by my standards (which we all know aren't that high). So, the last two days I have hardly left the kitchen. It's good - I know some people don't like being there but quite frankly, I'm happiest when I'm in the warmth of the appliances, their quiet buzzing noises and the amazing flavours that can be created from the simple ingredients found within. I think while I mix, while I knead and while I bake. It's my own special place. Of course, it does help to have an appreciative audience.... With children this is not always the case and so I have started branching out. In Colorado, I often pawned stuff off on my friends and their children. Here, my neighbours are my victims! Simple stuff for the children: cut berries (easy peasey), rice krispie squares, that sort of stuff and occasionally, a daring "stuff added" muffin!

Yesterday and today was a daring day. I hate waste. I really, really hate "food" waste. I save bread (freeze it). I save vegetables (freeze them). I puree fruits to be used as sauces or jellies or fillings for bread and pies. So if you've ever been given a 'banana loaf' from me chances are it contains a lot more then just bananas....surprise! The menus I've created thus far (often from others recipes - again, with stuff added if I thought it would work):

1. Icky, sticky date pudding with sauce (thumbs up from the neighbours).
2. Prune & Almond/Walnut Breakfast loaf (I made it yesterday - it's almost gone)
3. "Leftover" Cereal squares (like rice krispie squares but I save all the little bits of cereal then use them to make the squares - this one also contains pretzel pieces and graham cracker scraps)
4. Samosas/Pie (started out as samosas and then I got lazy) - last nights ham and rice with veggies for the boys (the ham frozen leftovers) and a potato, chickpea, tomato for my husband and I (leftover onion and potatoes).
5. I make my own homemade bread and when you do this you can make oodles of stuff. On my counter now: 1 dozen buns, a loaf of bread, a roll of dates, honey and walnuts (to be sliced), and a roll of 3 cheese, garlic and spices (to be sliced on Friday driveway night??).
6. Sweet Potato Doughnuts (using leftover pumpkin and sweet potato - recipe adapted from J. Seinfeld's book).

Need a recipe? Let me know - but I highly recommend making some creations of your own. I've been doing this for a while and it's strictly trial and error (a whole lot of error...).
Special thanks to Ser for reminding me that I don't have to shop a lot to create a great meal!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh... "stuff added" muffins... those were the days! I'm on a cooking kick, too (well, I did get pizza for the kids tonight...) and I'm loving my slow cooker! Beans for burritos tomorrow night! Yellow curry on Wednesday! Red lentil Dal on Thursday! Pepto on Friday!

    I love shopping in the pantry... beats the heck out of a wallet-assaulting trip to Whole Foods anyday! By the way - went to Sunflower market today and I _didn't_ run into you and E... where were you????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks for the shout out. You are an amazing cook and baker! I, too, love the satisfaction of filling my house with food that I made out of basic ingredients. Right now, though, my house is filled with boxed mac and cheese, fish sticks, etc. for Auntie Mara and the boys while we are away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to driveway night and the slicing of the 3 cheese roll!! Now, if you have any good slow cooker recipes, I would appreciate your thoughts on that...especially now that my other favorite cook is leaving town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that smiley face isn't because he is leaving town. thought that looked off & wanted to clarify!! it's because you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Sunflower coffee days... I miss Sunflower - the one here closed months before we got here. Blah!

    Ser, love a good frozen fish stick - with a salad of course ;).

    I have a recipe book for slow cooker recipes - I'll bring it over in the morning! And I know you're going to miss him - I thought the smiley face was just 'cause you were having a good day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!