Wednesday

Who are you today?

I just read an article in GQ magazine on Robert Pattinson (I know, I know, enough about my Twilight obsession already) and according to the article he's just a 23 year old boy - fancy that! He's not a yummy, 17 year old vampire. Who knew?

We (maybe just me) all have assumptions of people - friends, family, ourselves - that aren't necessarily who those people really are. Is it possible for others to live up to these expectations? Do you really know who the person really is? It got me to thinking about who I'd like to be... you know, if I could take a step out of my already fabulous life and reinvent myself into someone even more fabulous! Could it even happen??? No, but give me a minute here... In my weird, fantasy world I'd be hobnobbing with the rich and famous. I'd be sure-footed and elegant. I'd be funny and smart and gorgeous! Vanity Fair would be calling me to do the cover shoot and I'd have to turn them down because I was off that week and heading to Fiji for a long needed holiday. *sigh*

In real life I'm none of these things. You wouldn't turn your head if I passed you by (oh, you might, but it would be to check out the weird stain that was stuck to my shirt or to wonder what was happening with my hair), I'm not photogenic (Vanity Fair is definitely NOT calling - even the local paper isn't calling...), and I'm not rich. I have trouble remembering what I was going to say. I don't have a Ph.D. I don't even have a Masters degree and I'm not a Doctor of Medicine, Dentistry, or Optometry. I'm not incredibly funny and sometimes, even I don't find me interesting (what the heck are you still reading this blog for???).

I admit, on occasion I do dream of the rich, fabulous life. I even dream, some days, of being able to run away and having an amazing fantasy life that others would be jealous of. But would I trade my existing life for my dreamworld? thinking.... No, no, I wouldn't. I'm very fortunate to have great friends, a wonderful family and a roof over my head. It's not perfect. It's not glamorous. I'm NOT fabulous. Occasionally I get told I'm the most beautiful woman in the world (thank you to my 4 year old)! *sigh* Sometimes life is better than the dream...... right????

6 comments:

  1. Aw heck, T - I'd rather spend an evening eating popcorn and beans out of the can in front of a campfire with you than have a lavish dinner with one of those nip/tucked to within an inch of her life Hollywood superstars!

    Of course, I'd ditch you in a second for a night (weekend) with a 23-year-old vampire-imposter and a "free pass" from the hubby... (and then chicken out knowing that he probably isn't quite ready to be confronted with a post-3-babies body in all its glory).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Lady! That actually sounds like a great night.. umm, both nights... I'd really like the second one if you can manage it. You know, like if you really liked me you'd get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I saw you on the street I would run to you screaming and knock you over with a big bear hug! (By the way....I would also fight you for Robert...) and you are very funny!! Love ya!

    P.S. love the blog.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had expectations of what you'd be like...and guess what? You blew them all out of the water...you were so much better than I could have ever hoped!! Thanks for being a consistently awesome neighbor and friend. Really. You've made my life in Ohio bloom. I honestly CANNOT thank you enough!! xo, Karyn

    P.S. I'm a blog fan, too. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're all a little nuts aren't you? Takes one to know a few! (Jules - I'd knock you over first - I'm bigger.... and everyone knows R.P. is MY boyfriend! ;)

    K - xo to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not funny? Have you met yourself lately? And you don't have to listen to your four year old for your compliments. You are a beautiful woman with a lot of talent and as soon as you see yourself that way, everyone else will too. Who knows...maybe RP will come knocking when he hears about the super cool Mom in OH with a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!