Tuesday

Moving.

At camp in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Woods Hole, Massachusetts, U.S.A.

Public Gardens, Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

A State Park in Colorado.

I've moved 11 times in my life to eleven different places, 5 different provinces, 2 different states and 2 different countries (I lived in France for two months but I'm not counting that 'cause I didn't have to change my address). For 5 of the moves I actually had some say in and I'm happy for it. Nothing sucks more than being too young to have an opinion or having an opinion that doesn't make one heck of a difference anyway. As you get older the moving can get easier, but don't kid yourself it's still very, very hard. I've often wondered if it was easier being the one left behind but as of yet I haven't been able to test this. I will eventually, but not yet.
The hardest part of moving for me has always been the leaving people behind. I've left some really great people (I'm sorry). But what makes moving so hard is also the reason I like to move. Think of all the wonderful opportunities yet to explore. The people, the memories, who you could be to these new strangers (I'm unimaginative and always end up being the same person). I think kids get this. Ever been at school when the "new kid" shows up? It's fascinating! All the talk, the stares, the gossip! What will this person have that we've been lacking? Where have they been? What new things can they teach us? What stories and adventures do they have? A good teacher will pounce on this and use the kid for a couple of weeks!

As adults we grow accustomed to our daily rituals. We're scared to try new things and new experiences are frightful. We know that it is not nearly as easy as the children make it out to be and shudder at the thought of 'moving'. Honestly, who wants to pack up all those memories and haul them across the country? But, it can be a cleansing experience. A time to whittle away at those magazines you've been saving for 5 years. A time to sell those knick knacks your granny has been buying you every christmas since you were 13 - really who needs another cow pitcher??

We've just had what I hope will be our last move for many years. I'd like my boys to experience something different than what I've had. I'd like them to be able to say, "Yah, this is my friend Luke, we've like been friends since, I don't know, like grade 1 or something...". Can you imagine marrying someone you met when you were 6? Yah, me neither. Can you imagine growing up in the same house your whole life? Yah, me neither. But, I hope they will be able to. And I hope they appreciate it. We'll still travel (A LOT); our family lives in Canada and we've got friends in many different countries - there won't be any good experiences lacking in their lives. But can you truly appreciate all of these things if you've never lost them?

2 comments:

  1. T, too true. I've moved many times and it is always a difficult but rewarding experience. I would have to say it's harder to be the one leaving then the one left behind.

    When you stay behind, you still have the same friends, the network, the same life, minus a person. And no matter how much that person means to you, (honestly, you will miss them) their void will be filled by someone else. Maybe they won't be as fun as you, or as witty, or helpful, but they will fill the gap. That's not a bad thing.

    Because I've found in all my moves, that I pretty much end up with the same kinds of people in my life...different names but they all fit into a certain role. Strange, but true. There are different kinds of people that I need in my life and somehow, I always manage to surround myself with them no matter where I am. It helps that they are darn good people. Maybe that's the key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with filling your life with the same people no matter where you are - I'm not sure how that happens as sometimes making friends just happens by chance (or weather??!). I've been very blessed regardless of how it happens. Quite frankly, I really don't want to test your theory of being the one left behind but I suppose it's inevitable. Gee, I sure will miss them when they go...

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!