Saturday

Nails & Tubs.

The bathtub before... nice walls, nice tiles, nice cream (oh, don't be fooled) bathtub.
The 'nails' at work. Easy peel and remove paint chips. Good gracious.

A pile of peeled paint. Say that 10 times fast. Yah, it irks you too doesn't it???

And now, the bathtub after the peeling has started. Sometimes it peels easily, other times not so much.

For those of you who would just die if you're manicure was ruined, STOP READING! Please, please, please, stop reading!!! Have you stopped? I can not be held responsible for any gut wrenching and/or gasping that might occur.....

Alright, for the rest of you, I have been tackling my upstairs bathroom (yah, not the en suite that hasn't worked since we bought the house - nice heads up on that one Mr. Home Inspector). It's a beautiful raspberry colour (I actually like the colour - bold, I wouldn't have done it myself but like it just the same) with nice faucets, a cream toilet and what we thought was a cream bathtub.... thought? Yes, thought. Now, we knew the tub had been painted. Yes, painted! But we were unaware that the people who originally painted it (perhaps the previous owners???) had absolutely NO idea as to what they were doing when they painted it! I know it's possible to paint a bathtub (see Anna's tub on Door Sixteen - gorgeous!!!) but, I would never, ever, think of using just regular paint. It's a bathtub. It gets wet. It gets gross - don't kid yourself, your tub is gross too. And when you clean it with regular old baking soda and vinegar (no harsh chemicals here) it shouldn't bubble and start to peel - RIGHT???!!!

So imagine my surprise when it started to bubble and peel! This is after we find out the en suite shower doesn't work (as the water dripped down the wall in the living room), most of the plugs are wired incorrectly so that a bulb ended up exploding in the office (yes, explode), the basement started to leak and then the drainpipe fell off the front of the house. *sigh* deep breath... Do you remember that movie with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long, "The Money Pit"? So far (good gracious, I'm about to jinx myself aren't I) the tub has not fallen through the roof of the living room and into the basement. Can you even imagine? You'd probably hear me screaming in Gahana and if you do, cover your children's ears 'cause it ain't going to be nice.

Anyway, back to the peeling.... So, the paint has started to peel - sometimes in little bits and other times in great big junks. And in order to lift it easier you'd think I would use some sort of tool right? Like what??!!! What exactly do you use to peel paint off a bathtub? Wait for it.....yah, that's right, finger nails! And you know what? They work pretty darn good. Shake your head, have bad thoughts, it's alright, I can take it. If someone knows of something better feel free to tell me but for now, the nails are going to have to suffice. This time tomorrow I'll be staring at an all white bathtub - white, they painted a white bathtub with a cream paint.... I can only imagine why?! Who were these people????

3 comments:

  1. Oy. Such fun. Did I tell you about how the toilet in the tiny half bath off of our master bedroom used to gurgle, bubble, and spontaneously flush over the first winter we lived here? It was rather unsettling for me who has an unnatural fear that the entire septic tank will one day empty itself into our house in a fit of anger induced by the sudden arrival of 5 poop-producing family members and their guests rather than the one, sweet, probably non-poop-producing old lady we bought the place from.

    I'm thinking of you (and your fingernails).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so this makes the "fake" outlet in our office pale in comparison. We just discovered that the wires went nowhere and the whole box just pulled right out of the wall. Luckily, I know how to patch holes in drywall (and now plaster). I'll be well on my way to having a smooth wall when R returns from Home Depot with joint compound. Anyway, back to your post....WHO PAINTS A TUB WITH LATEX!?!?! That just blows my mind! Just so you know, my finger nails are SHOT after today's projects. So we'll need to head on down to Elli's soon for a little pampering! We deserve it! :)
    -Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, let me come, too! Love the pics. Nice job on the tub. Are you finished with it? I wouldn't suggest scraping with anything metal, as you might scrape it, but plastic might work. Old Credit card? Or one you are trying not to use?

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!