Tuesday

The nursery loved me...

And because of that, I'll be back! I ventured to Oakland Nursery today. Along with some veggie seeds (my favourite is the Ferry Morse Lemon Cucumbers -soo very cute) I picked up some gladiola bulbs (red, white and a bright, bright yellow - guess who picked that one). I'm very, very excited to plant them and though it was gorgeous out last week it's freakin' freezing out today. They'll have to wait until tomorrow to be part of what should be (cross your fingers) a beautiful garden out front! I'm having delusions of grandeur. With my luck not a thing will pop up or else the local bunnies and/or deer and/or opossums and/or squirrels will snack on everything without mercy.

I can see my mums coming up - just tiny little things right now but they're coming. The daffodils are blooming and the tulips are up but I'm thinking those deer took out most of them so it's not going to be as pretty of a display as it normally is. The daylilies on the side of the house are a foot tall and the iris's are popping up as well. Spring should be bright and beautiful. Yesterday I went a little crazy and planted most of the bulbs I had got in the fall from Wal-mart (yikes). They had been marked down to almost nothing (like $0.25 for 25 liatris bulbs). I have Dahlias, Liatris, Caladiums and Tigridia. The Dahlias are most certainly dead but I said a little prayer to the garden Gods and I'd be happy as a clam if one actually poked throught the dirt. Ridiculous? Perhaps.

Most of my neighbours have already sown their lettuce seeds and any of the tougher stuff (potatoes). Me? I'm still way behind - again! I'm not sure how that happens but it does. I've got the spinach seeds spread out and I'm hoping my strawberry plants have a chance this year (darn chipmunks). Don't I sound like I know what I'm doing? It's a little overwhelming and I have to say last year there was once or twice (or six times or I lost count) where I felt like I was totally acting like a fraud - which I am but I don't really want it to get out. This whole gardening thing is a lot harder if you try to figure out the right places to plant and when. Suddenly, you realize you don't have a clue and that it's basically just luck. Okay, maybe it this doesn't sound like 'you' but it's bang on 'me'! And I admit that I'm doing the same thing this year. But I've got wine and I've found these really great crackers (oh yes Ser -the ones from Housewine...) so it's not going to bother me for long.

What have you started? Anything good? Those of you up North should be thinking about it soon and those of you out West have probably got bushes of stuff already. Makes me crazy just thinking about it!

2 comments:

  1. I heart lemon cucumbers!!!! Of course I haven't planted a thing (unless you count the bag of potatoes sprouting on the counter - I do...)

    It sounds like you will have quite the garden of eatin' out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I loved to watch your garden grow last year! There are so, so, so many things I miss about living next door to you. Sure, good crackers and wine (good or not!) come to mind, but waking up to the sight of a pensive Tracy with shovel in hand, plotting where to dig her next patch of home-grown goodness, well, that is classic. Miss you dear!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!