Monday

What's for dinner and all that.

Alright, I haven't had a chance to get out to the market and surprisingly I'm not out of a thing at home... except milk, and eggs, and butter... I had meant to go today as it's become a bit of a habit and I know how much you look forward to starting your week off by looking at all the crap that comes into my house. But alas, it was not meant to happen. Little E. woke up in the middle of the night with a bit of a silly belly and then proceeded to expel all that said silly belly contained. A wonderful start to the week I think.

So, instead of running out to the store I decided to make up the dinner list and see what I could come up with. Every week I try to make something that I haven't tried before (like the Dal last week - thank you R. for the recipe, perhaps I'll try it again). It doesn't always work out well. I'm much more of a country cooker than I am a gourmet - for example, I can whip up a mighty fine turkey and fixin's but not so great on Thai food or East Indian cooking. Now my friend Ser is awesome at Asian cooking - she makes the best chicken soup! This week I'm going to give the "new recipe" a go with Buttercrust Corn Pie with Fresh-Tomato Salsa. We'll see.

Sunday: We had homemade All-American pulled pork on a bun (thank you to our neighbour for making these) and Nanaimo Bars (an All Canadian favourite). Gee, I wonder why we had an American/Canadian dinner? Could it be the biggest hockey game of all time was on tv? Well, you didn't honestly think I'd skip mentioning the game the day after did you?!! Congrats Canada on a very well played Olympic Games!

Monday: Since we've got the upset tummy situation I thought it would be a great day for some homemade Chicken Soup. Everyone should have homemade stock of some sort in their freezer for such an occasion!

Tuesday: The Buttercrust Corn Pie with Fresh Tomato Salsa. It looks yummy right? Mmmm...

Wednesday: Mac and Cheese made with Scooby Doo noodles! I just love these noodles and who doesn't love that they're named Scooby Doo?!

Thursday: Spaghetti and tofu with finger licking peanut sauce. I mentioned that I was going to make this last week but we had those super yummy pork sandwiches instead (E. said they tasted like candy).

Friday: Buffalo burgers and french fries (possibly sweet potato fries... we'll see how the day goes).

Saturday: Pizza! Hurray, it's the weekend.

As an aside: I purchased Tierra de Luna this weekend (yah, it's a necessity) and I quite liked it. It's a Syrah-Malbec from Argentina and for a price of $6.99 it's a steal! No surprises here however, so if you're looking for something with a full body and lasting after taste this isn't it. Go buy a Da Vinci instead or perhaps The Prisoner and then invite me over! I'm so full of great ideas sometimes I just surprise myself.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like a kid with a sick tummy to get a mama out of the grocery shopping mood! The menu looks yummy and the nanaimo bars? Yes, please!

    It was scrambled eggs and veges and hash browns for dinner at my house tonight (and 3 of the 5 of us ate it without substitution!!). Small victories...

    The sun came out today. I think I might have burned my retinas staring at its magnificence. No matter - SO worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small victories often have the highest satisfaction! Yeah for your family!!!

    No nanaimo bars left. All gone. What did you expect?!

    Hating you and your sun!!! It's sooo dark and dreary here. And cold. I keep thinking I should start my seedlings but it just doesn't seem like it's time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!