Tuesday

This is how we started our day. I'm in a little bit of a cheeky mood. Not sure if it's because the kids have BOTH been home since Friday or if I'm just getting a might bit of cabin fever. These lovely little scones, yes, scones not dog biscuits, fit nicely in one hand while the other holds a mug of deliciously hot coffee (complete with homemade creamer).

For dinner, sweet potato and banana pancakes topped with sugared walnuts. Mmmm.... I think I'm on carb overload. And, I think that's why it's snowing again! We're hunkering down and settling in for winter. We really have no choice.
Tomorrow is the start of Lent - Ash Wednesday. We've been tossing around an idea as a family. I'm anxious to hear what you think of it. The last two years (did I say this already) I gave up chocolate. I don't think I'm that strong anymore... did you know the kids have been home for 4 days!!! *sigh*
Note: The walnuts are my own invention. Simply put some walnuts (lots cause you're going to want lots) in a dry fry pan and heat until warm. Then add some brown sugar, stir, add corn syrup (oh, that's right I said corn syrup!), a dollop of butter and stir some more until it's all ooey gooey yummers. Then mix in just a half teaspoon of sea salt. Mix some more - be patient, it's all going to be worth it. When it's super sticky take it off and gobble it all up (careful they're hot). You'd like to only eat one, maybe two but before you know it, "voila", it's gone!

1 comment:

  1. Yum yum yum yum yum! Pancakes...

    I decided to do my own observance of lent this yeat (despite my complete lack religion - I figured it would be a good time to challenge myself to something new as long as so many others were doing the same). Let me get through the first few days and if I haven't decided to throw in the towel I'll let you in it.

    Love the scones, too. Don't even get me started on the walnuts...

    Happy snow!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!