Wednesday

Ho Hum....

As I sit here and watch the snow fly (geez, I'm sure getting tired of talking about all this snow) I'm also contemplating the idea my family was throwing around about Lent. Each year we try to explain to the kids just what lent is. Since we aren't devote Catholics or even strict Christians, I'm pretty sure we lose something in the translation and more due to the brief nature of our explanation than anything else: Jesus in the desert for 40 days & 40 nights contemplating his worthiness of God; as well as an anthropological explanation, (have to use that degree somehow) that perhaps it's also a way to combine faith and the need for survival (for example: the people were starting to run out of food and fasting was a way to extend the food supplies).

My children's response was, "So, it's kinda like us on our budget then?". I'm thinking they get it - well, at least they get the anthropological explanation anyway...

Alrighty then... we've decided, as a family, that in order to get that full feeling of Lent we're going to give up buying anything that isn't a total necessity (are you rolling your eyes yet). Easy enough right?

Now, here's the hard part: What exactly is a necessity? Does that mean I shouldn't be buying dishwasher detergent when I could make due with washing the plates by hand? But what about the environment? Washing dishes in the dishwasher can actually be better than washing by hand. And what about birthdays and anniversaries? What do you do when people ask you to go to the show or out for coffee? How do you handle 'pre-existing' appointments?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think everything costs money - far from it! There are tons of things we can do that are better for us, better for the family and probably better for the environment (bye, bye plastic bags...). Where I can do these things I will - if I'm not already. But as a family? Even I'm shaking my head and down right laughing...

By the way, are chocolate and wine necessities??!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I think that answering the question: "What is a necessity?" for your family may end up being the most enlightening part of the process.

    I look forward to the related posts that are undoubtedly to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!