Monday

Grocery List.


In my defence, I didn't buy wine and I bought a lot more organic items (Thank you "My Year of Meats") and more organic/free range meat than I usually buy... so the total cost this week was $108.38. I did buy beer (hangs head in shame). But we discussed this and beer is a necessity! Yah, I'm sticking with that and nothing, I repeat, nothing you can say will change my mind. I am trying to limit it to a 12 pack a week. Which sounds like an awful lot if you're a non-drinker but there's two of us here and that doesn't even amount to one beer a day - and that by-the-way, is what you should be consuming in order to be heart healthy! Yah.
So now that I've convinced myself that I've made a wise and Lent worthy decision... I did actually buy more than I had anticipated. $28.28 of the total was actually spent on Saturday (there's no picture) and that's when I bought the beer, 3 loaves of bread (from the bakery sale rack), and 2 oranges (I bought Blue Moon beer and you HAVE to drink it with oranges). How this comes to $28.00 is beside me but it does.
The pictured items are from Giant Eagle. As I went to all the little markets last week I really didn't need anything from them this week. One good thing about G.E. - double coupons! Gotta love that. I didn't have very many but they do add up! The yogurts are for lunches (kids) and A. and I will eat from the big container. I know I could use this for the kids lunches too but it's one of those little treats the kids like (please refrain from telling me how I'm wrecking the environment). The Rice Krispies and the pineapple are for the cake walk at the school carnival this week.

Drumroll ..... And this weeks dinner list is as follows. There's a few from last week - we had invites to neighbours or I ran out of time and made something else quick instead - like pancakes or grilled cheese sandwiches. Perhaps tomorrow would be a good time to list some of the things I plan on packing for lunches?! Always exciting!
Monday: Falafels with rice, cucumbers and tomatoes
Tuesday: Red Lentil Dal (yep, didn't get around to making it last week so here it is again)
Wednesday: Beef Soup with Barley (hmm... didn't make this either. Went to a birthday party and they served pizza... mmm... pizza....)
Thursday: Chicken enchiladas
Friday: Pasta with spinach feta sausages, broccoli and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Saturday: Wraps with tuna sauce (cause I didn't make these either - oops...)
Sunday: Spaghetti and tofu with finger licking peanut sauce (from the best of Cooking Light, page 147).

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Red lentil dal is one of my favorite comfort foods and nobody with taste buds should ever say no to peanut sauce!! Last night we had pasta (linguni and tortellini) with homemade sauce, apple turnovers, and salad. Tonight it's going to be black bean burritos (for the less adventurous) and quinoa-bean-vege pilaf (?) for, well, me. It's one of my new favorites.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dal was awful. I'm sorry. I tried. But it was awful! This recipe is the pits - okay, maybe it wasn't the recipe... maybe it was me putting in 4 teaspoons of tumeric when I was only supposed to put in 1. Hmm... that may have had something to do with it. It was my experiment meal of the week. Next week perhaps I should stick with what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK... I just can't let you give up on red lentil dal. I'm sitting here with my favorite Indian cookbook "Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking" open to a very turmeric-stained page 329: (with minor variations)

    Dal:
    1.5 c red lentils
    4.5 c water
    3 hot green chiles (I use serranos)
    1.5 t salt
    0.5 t turmeric

    Combine these ingredients in a deep pot, bring to a boil and stir often. Cook over medium heat for 25 minutes.

    Flavor:
    4T oil
    1c minced onion
    1T grated fresh ginger
    1c crushed canned tomatoes
    1T Panch Phoron (or 0.5T each cumin and dried mustard, preferably whole seeds - not as authentic but I can't really tell the difference)
    2t chopped garlic

    Heat oil and fry all remaining ingredients for 5-10 minutes. Add to the dal and cook everything over low heat for an additional 10 minutes. Serve with naan or rice or all by itself.

    Then, make mango lassi for dessert:
    1.25 c plain yogurt
    0.5 c mango puree (fresh or canned)
    4T honey or sugar (or to taste)
    a little water and 10ish ice cubes

    Blend and drink.

    Longest. Comment. Ever.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!