Monday

It must be the start of the week.

The wine - there always has to be something! I'm quite interested in trying this little number. I laugh. It's a Malbec so it should be quite a full wine. At Trader Joe's yesterday there was a wall of this. Now, that's either a great sign or... well, I shudder to think what else it might mean. Since I'm not buying too many cases these days my wine has become rather important and it would suck if this was bland. Cost of wine: $6.39 - state tax included.
Giant Eagle purchases. Grand total: $32.80. 16 items.

Raisin Rack total: $24.47 - I get a lot of the bulk items here like spices and flours and such. They also have great prices on tofu and Udon noodles. 13 tems.
Trader Joe's : (don't gasp) $42.42 - By far the most expensive (who knew?) 18 items that included cream cheese, coffee and almond butter - darn almond butter and your almondy goodness!
Alright, if you broke out your calculator you would have come upon a grand total of $106.08. This doesn't include the dishwasher detergent that I have to go out and get today. I'm trying hard to keep this weekly budget under $100.00 (that's for four people). I realize this is quite a lot of money and some people have it worse than that but for the life of me I'm just not making it. How about the rest of you? Do you have a budget? Do you have a set goal that you'd rather not break for the week/month? I've got big plans for this budget: wait until tomorrow when we hit Pancake Tuesday and the day before the beginning of Lent - oh, the season is already upon us!
And the menu for this week:
Sunday: as stated yesterday - Chinese Food! Hurray.
Monday: Beef wrapped around stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes and salad.
Tuesday: Pancakes! (guess what day it is?!)
Wednesday: Enchiladas (beans, tomatoes, rice (from sunday) and cheese)
Thursday: Squash Soup (with pepitas -mmm....)
Friday: Wraps with tonnato sauce, grated carrots, coleslaw mix and black olives
Saturday: Red Lentil Dhal (This is my first time making this. Cross your fingers)
Sunday: Beef and Barley Soup with biscuits.

3 comments:

  1. I think $100ish/week is pretty great! We come in at around $150 in groceries when I'm paying attention but if I'm completely honest with myself it's probably more because we inevitably end up going out for a meal or two along the way (especially breakfast - my favorite "eating out" meal).

    The menu sounds fantastic. I'll take a FedEx doggie bag Tuesday thru Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My budget is $130 per week, buying locally/organic as much as I can (maybe one third of my produce/dairy?). We also have a modest restaurant budget ($150 per month.) I have an AWESOME, authentic yet accessible indian cookbook if you want to consult it on the dal. Oh, and I've had that wine and liked it. BTW, I love these shopping/meal planning posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks R&S for the feedback! It seems like it would be easy to stay within budget doesn't it? But not always the case. I have to admit it was easier this week with Raisin Rack being thrown in - bulk sections make all the difference! And though I LOVE Trader Joe's I think I might be a little too week to go there - maybe every second week?!

    Ser - I quite liked the one that Stacy made is yours similiar to that? Perhaps I can check your book out Thursday?

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!