Sunday

Oops, I did it again!







No, I'm not Britany Spears - did you start singing the song? It's much worse than that, I think I may be coming obsessed with this whole gardening thing... First, I had a whole bunch of lilies that needed a new home because I wanted to use the space they were currently in to make a new Herb garden. So, I dug up the area beside the vegetable garden and put them in a tidy little row in hopes that one day they will grow up nice and big and be an oh so beautiful border along the driveway. The sod that I dug up was piled in a cylindrical shape and on top I placed an inherited mosquito breeder (or a bird bath, whatever). And at the end of all of that, some more lilies (different type - though not sure what kind...). By the time I was done I was covered in dirt from the tips of my fingers to half way up my arm - I could have worn gloves but where's the fun in that?

Thus, the Herb garden is officially planted. I love it. Should the plants actually take and fill in I really think it's going to be wonderful - in only the way someone who enjoys plants would find it to be wonderful (Really, I've got the bug bad)! I've planted everything from Basil, Thyme and Sage to Fennel and an assorted variety of peppers (yah, I know those aren't herbs but too bad). There's also 3 different types of strawberries - I'm hoping those will spread over time (would it be too much to ask for them to spread by August) and make enough for a lovely little tart. Wouldn't that be fabulous?

I'm also the proud new owner of a few prizes from neighbours and friends - isn't it great to get 'free' stuff?! The aforementioned lilies (I'm not all together sure what they are but if I luck out they'll be Iris' or something just as wonderful) and bucket full of Lily of the Valley (which I adore) and a beautiful Black Hollyhock (my mother has tried to grow one forever and when I told her I got one she was soooo jealous - not that my life is about making my mom jealous, it was merely an added bonus - love you mom!). Those darn bunnies in the back forty have nibbled some of the leaves off my Black Eyed Susans and so I've moved them to the front of the house and put the Hollyhock there instead. I'm not sure the bunnies are going to live long enough to see my strawberries spread... We have a Black Walnut Tree in the back (it's gorgeous but a little annoying come fall) and when I googled Hollyhocks "they" said that usually Hollyhocks thrive in this environment. We'll see. There's a lot of waiting in this plant game. I'm not a good waiter - luckily I have more than enough little projects to keep me busy (remember the dresser? Yah, not done. How about the desk? Nope. And the arbor? Darn it.).

On my list today is to prune the tree in the front yard and weed. Darn the weeding. I'm hoping my husband will cut the grass as it's starting to find it's way into everything! Ohio seems to be a great place to have that famous English Garden as everything just grows and grows and grows - except Lilacs, hmm.... It would be nice if in the next couple of years I have something resembling an actual garden but I'm no avid gardener and my knowledge is dependant on my friends input and google (Thank God for both). I think that might be a warning for my friends...

3 comments:

  1. wheres the Rubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, T! I'll help you weed if you'll help me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the ticks are here I'll be there shortly!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!