Monday

Watch out Jolly Green Giant!

This picture is for R - don't laugh, I literally threw some watermelon seeds on the garden about 2 months ago and voila! Watermelons, just like that! Sorry....
Some Lilac saplings that I dug out of the side garden and behind them the Corkscrew Willow... The White Pine was planted at Christmas and seems to be taking. Hurray!

The "Shade" Garden. I took the Hostas from beside my door and replanted them here. I'm hoping they'll take off and fill in the space. I also planted a bunch of different ferns and some Lily of the Valley (understated yet beautiful - it's my birth month flower).

The newly planted Vegetable Garden. Rows upon rows of future salads! I'm even hoping to pull a broccoli or cauliflower out of there... Here's hoping!


I spent the weekend (mostly Saturday) attacking my gardens. It was freakin' fabulous. There was dirt and worms and manure and plants everywhere! Did I say it was freakin' fabulous??!!! I started around 10 am by visiting the amazing Worthington Plant Fest. If you didn't go, you should have (unless you live far, far away then I kinda get it...). The prices on trees was cheap, cheap, cheap and it was great to talk to some knowledgeable individuals - not that I don't get a chuckle out of the 20 year old at Lowe's that reads the labels and tells me exactly what they have written there - and the range of plants was..., well, freakin' fabulous!
Anyway, I had to call my husband and ask him to tote the wagon down for me (we live within walking distance) so I could lug all the trees home. I am the proud new owner of a corkscrew willow (I've always wanted one - did you know they grow like crazy??), a high bush blueberry (called E!) and a lovely, lovely Japanese Maple (*sigh*). I also bought a huge number (lost count and A shook his head repeatedly) of shade plants to put in the 'patio' area outside. They are all planted, fertilized and watered. A job well done if I don't say so myself.

Now, I just have the side area to fill in (possibly with native plants - stuff that drags the butterflies by my house) and some herbs. I can hardly wait! I've got a coupon for Oakland Nurseries... ooh, they are going to love me!!! And who knows, by August it could be a virtual forest out there. I'm dying to get a pear tree for the backyard as well...maybe a cherry tree... hmm.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed! We have done just about nothing so far this year. We don't even have our garden in yet. Your yard looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! We now officially share yet another addiction! That said, don't think I've gotten all zen and everything -- I'm still having petty "darn you and your plant-sustaining climate" feelings (never mind all the hard work and expense...). Before your garden hits full-speed English Cottage fantasticness, could you please screw up at _something_? Sheesh... you've gotta give the rest of us a chance ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. watch out for the watermelon theif (shes the hottie who resides at 172)....If I spit out tobacco chew, will a tobacco plant grow???

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!