Tuesday

Food, Food, Food!

There is a whole website devoted to Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. It's amazing - it's indexed and everything. Go there. Get your chuckle on! http://members.shaw.ca/dlazechk02/subjects.html


Let me start off by saying that I need to get some groceries. Now, the thing is, I don't actually want to go to the store and I don't want to spend money. The fact remains, I need groceries - the reason being, I need to have something for my son to take to school for lunch and to feed E during the commercial breaks. Anyhooooo, what I decided to do was to try to make something S and E could eat that was made from the stuff I have around the house. Nothing too weird but it can't be overly identifiable and it has to contain all those nutrients I find invaluable (as do so many people...). And to the Seinfeld book I went...

On page 108 is a recipe for "Buttered" Noodles. She puts yellow squash puree in the recipe (hidden) and apparently, her kids eat it up. Well, I decided to make a sweet potato puree instead (I had half a sweet potato in my fridge that needed to be cooked up). My kids dislike sweet potatoes. I don't know why. But, when you mix it, as a puree, with wagon wheel noodles, apple chicken sausage, cauliflower and Parmesan cheese a miracle happens - they ask for second helpings! I know, it really is a miracle.

Then, on to page 54, Banana Bread. Everyone likes banana bread and if you don't, there's something wrong with you - of this I'm sure... I don't use oil in my baking (I've said this before, somewhere..) instead I use yogurt and Mrs. Seinfeld recommends cauliflower puree in this one - my kids eat cauliflower so I don't have to sneak it by them but again, they won't eat sweet potato... and yet, they did! Another healthy alternative. Voila!
Now for Ms. R... for lunch today Sam packed 3 cream cheese and graham cracker sandwiches, a yogurt, almonds, and cut up strawberries. Tomorrow it will be more yogurt, an apple, and probably 2 slices of the banana bread spread with peanut butter and a rice krispy square (yes, I made those today too - if you make the microwave version it takes all of 5 minutes to whip together and who doesn't like rk squares? oh, probably the same people who don't like banana bread... nutbars).

2 comments:

  1. Ms. R says - Faboo! I love banana bread. Is that why we're friends? Right now Jedi R is on a buttered saltine kick... morning, noon, and night. I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes love bananana bread. What are your favourite cookbooks? What is apple chicken sausage?? My boys eat a lot of veggies but for some reason also no longer like sweet potatoes! Jules

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!