Thursday

What do you do when everyone else is asleep?

This picture was taken somewhere near Fargo, North Dakota. I'd be more specific but if you ever take the road from Fargo to Winnipeg, Manitoba you'd understand how I just can't be.

It is 2:33am. For some reason I can't sleep. I woke up quite unexpectedly. No noises woke me. No alarm was set only to go off when it shouldn't have. No child wandered out of bed and stood staring at me in the dark. The dog didn't even start itching yet. And yet, I'm awake when I should be sleeping.

This is a constant battle with me. It never used to be. I used to be one of those people that could sleep for 12 hours straight and not even have to get up at some point to go pee (yes, I know 12 hours to a twenty-something isn't a long period of time but trust me it was long for me - I maybe a little hyper - go figure). Now, I'm lucky if I can get 4 or 5 hours straight without waking up for 2-3 hours in between. Sometimes when I wake up it's because I get all 'crazy' about something - finances, the house, whether or not I made the phone call I was supposed to make or remembering there's a load of laundry in the washer that needs to be put in the drier NOW. Tonight wasn't like that. I was sleeping quite heavily. I went to bed at 9:30. I was exhausted - I'm still exhausted. Tonight I just woke up. I have no reason. Nothing pressing on my mind. How I wish I had something pressing on my mind that I could do and just get back to sleep.

Now that I'm up I'd like to have ice cream and watch a bad movie (I'm sure that's all that's on TV at this time anyway). Unfortunately I have no ice cream and I'm pretty sure Graeters and Dairy Queen are closed and I'm sooo not going through McDonald's (are they even open) at this hour. I've read everyones' blogs (so nice to be able to catch up). You should all update them so I have something to read at 2 o'clock in the morning! Just saying. I'll probably have to have a nap tomorrow. Then the viscous cycle will continue. Ah, Darn it.

3 comments:

  1. Blech. I'm not a fan of the middle-of-the-night wakefulness. It's not a common occurrence for me but a couple of times each month I wake up at 3:45 and can't get back to sleep until mere moments before the alarm goes off at 6.

    Happy napping to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the plus side I read 2 of Ellie's graphic novels last night! It was sooo enriching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan's loving the "Bone" graphic novels these days. I'm pretty sure they're somehow subversive but so is a diet consisting entirely of string cheese so I guess it works for him.

    Does Ron Popeil have any new inventions I need to know about?

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!