Monday

Want one?

Putty and his new family (photo copied from Columbus Cocker Rescue site)

Did I say how much I love having Putty with us? He's just a doll. He listens. He's housebroken and he sleeps in his little bed without any problems at all. He loves all of us - well, he's warming to the kids - they're loud, I get his apprehension. It's also nice to have something to snuggle with that doesn't wiggle about. I forgot how much I liked having a pet around. And so I feel that all of you deserve a pet of some sort of your very own. I'm pushy.
Just please, don't go to a pet store (unless they have pets from the shelter - ie. PetSmart) and DO NOT go to a puppy mill (please, oh please don't do that). I understand the draw of a puppy - they're cute. Keep in mind they will grow up and they won't stay a puppy forever! And in case you choose to go the puppy route, remember that the chewing, peeing in your house, and whining will eventually (hopefully) stop. Be patient. However, if you're going to get a puppy look online at a shelter or a rescue group in your area or even a reputable breeder. It's amazing how many little creatures out there don't have homes. And don't limit yourself to a dog (though I'm obviously biased). Check out the lizards, bunnies, rodents and other such animals available! Yep, the sky's the limit!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your men are celebrities. It's true, even after making up new silent curse words to "celebrate" the occasional pee accident (almost always my fault - "why are you acting like such a freak, Poppy? Oh... that's why.) I really love having a dog again. Despite her foibles, I'm even glad we got a pup with "issues" - if she didn't, I'm afraid she might look down her little snout at her new family and all of our assorted issues.

    Putty's so adorable! I can't get over his coloring - he looks like Rocky Road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I need ice cream - I'm so easily swayed - just the mere words "Rocky Road" make me want to go out and get some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got one and he is great - but he gave me a scare right after we moved in. Yup he got out the door somehow in the mayhem and didn't know where he was so he got lost. So of course because we just moved his tag was wrong and I didn't know what to do! I drove around and asked everyone - some people stopped, some people ran away looking at me like I was going to do something to them - me!!! I am smaller than everyone! Anyways, a runner told me his wife found him and I tracked him down at my vets which brought him to the humane society. I called them and they said he wasn't there - but he was! So sorry it is a long story but Putty looks adorable and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. that last one was from Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. And cats! There are more cats in shelters than dogs.

    Putty is a lucky dog. My uncle, in a rash lapse of judgement, bought a dog from a pet store (not a shelter dog), and they have had nothing but health problem after health problem. At least with shelter dogs, you figure they have a story and they always seem so grateful that you are sharing your home with them. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!