Sunday

Palms - no not the one on your hand!


It's Palm Sunday. Does this mean anything to you? I have to admit that a few years ago it meant nothing and quite frankly, I had no idea that the Sunday before Easter was called Palm Sunday never mind what that meant. This by the way, is not a lecture on Christianity so hang in there... Palm Sunday gives reference to the day that Christ rode into Jerusalem - the week before he was led to The Cross. As Jesus rode in on his donkey the disciples laid their jackets down on the road and the people in turn laid cut branches of palms.

Okay, so maybe it was a little bit of a christian teaching but I really didn't intend it that way. Really, I didn't. What I was going to say, is that though this day has deep Christian meaning to me it's also a day that I miss my small community of Westminster Presbyterian Church - of which I am a member (I'm full of surprises, aren't I?), a place where my children were baptised and where I taught Sunday school for almost 2 years (why yes, this is true). On Palm Sunday at W.P.C. the children carry in palm leaves and walk around the church while the congregation sings. My children loved it! And the feeling of family and friends on this day (as well as any other day) in this little church is overwhelming. We were always welcome there. So, today I miss them quite a bit.

I'm sorry if you're missing someone today. I hope tomorrow is better. It's always hard when someone leaves (or if you do the leaving) but memories are a wonderful thing and some of us are lucky enough to know that the leaving isn't something permanent. I'll say a little prayer that all of you are safe and now you know it's not just talk - I actually do pray (shocking - who knew?).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks T. For knowing just what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you caught the reference. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep up the good thoughts and prayers...now i guess i gotta keep up on the masterpiece theatre in the back yard....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea for WPC! It missed you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!