Tuesday

Let them eat Cake.

You choose!
Is it wrong to let my kids have cake for supper?

A few weeks ago, my husband was out of town and so, on the last night the boys and I decided to have popcorn and ice cream for supper - not a vegetable in sight! It was great. I sprinkled the popcorn (not from the microwave I might add) with cheese for all that's worth. Not one of my finest culinary moments by far but I didn't have to fight with the kids to eat dinner and to me that's worth it's weight in gold. The kids thought I was a God - if only for a few minutes (hero worship passes sooo quickly with them). The added bonus: only 3 large bowls to clean - we went out for the ice cream.

Tonight, the Columbus Blue Jackets are playing in the playoffs. Home team in fact. My husband will be in the stands and so that means once again, it's just the boys and I for dinner. I've made a cake; from scratch. It's a carrot cake with actual carrots, pineapple, dates, walnuts and wheat germ, no oil to speak off - only yummy Greek yogurt, less sugar than it calls for in the recipe in hope it would cut the sugar quotient just a little bit (isn't that what the pineapple is for) and I used 50/50 whole wheat to white flour. Sort of nutritious...

I'm not wanting to make dinner. I made a cake already! Also, I have a cold and the thought of whipping up a meal of any sort just doesn't seem like fun. I could make a peanut butter sandwich but is that any better? So, my question again is: Is it wrong to let my kids eat cake for supper - tell me what would you do?

3 comments:

  1. lmao I had to decloak just so I could laugh at you.My mommy (your auntie Millie) used to get very upset with me for pizza nights lol usually 3 times a week my arguement was well it has veggies and dairy(cheese) meat and the kids eat it,her arguement was it isn't a meal its a snack.So in saying that their kids give them what they will eat without the arguement less hassle more fun and besides you said carrot cake yeah for veggies lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is late but I hope that you let them eat that wonderful cake! Loaded with veggies and nuts/protein and fruit!! yipee. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can bet your bottom dollar we ate the cake - funny thing, E asked later why we didn't have dinner and when I told him that the cake was dinner he said it wasn't. It was just a snack to him... kids... and pizza is a meal - sometimes my mom would just make frybread for dinner, now that's questionable but I'm not complaining!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!