Friday

My New Garden!




I think I'm getting old. No, I'm pretty darn sure I'm getting old - and not in age per se, but in body. I finally got around to digging an area for my garden (it's Spring here) and now, my hands hurt, my back hurts, my arms hurt... ack! I have to admit I'm pretty darn proud of myself and my little garden. In my mind it's going to be wonderful - reality might be a whole different thing....

I'm imagining a trellis at the end of the sitting area and then stones following along the garden (like the illustration - I'm so talented...). My idea is to bring the backyard together so it flows together and looks more like an actual garden. Right now I find it just a little too choppy. I'd like to put a rhododendron to the left of the trellis (at the end of the bricks) and then the garden itself will be a mixture of herbs, veggies and flowers - an all-purpose garden. It's not a large area so I have to make due with what I've got.
The next couple of days will be me trying to break up that dirt - I have a lovely neighbour that has a rotary tiller and I thought I would bribe her into letting me use it (oh, so cunning...) and possibly adding some manure or something to try to get it nourished before I plant. I'm not all together sure about time lines or anything so if anyone (R????) has any ideas or information it would be much appreciated. I'm a trial and error kind of gal and so far it's worked out...
Oh, by the way, I bought the primer for my desk so perhaps I'll actually get that finished this weekend too! I'm just full of energy.



3 comments:

  1. Hey, Barefoot Contessa (or flip-flop wearin' Princess...) - that's one nice garden! Click on the link for a great site in roughly the same hardiness zone about veg gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. grab gimpy and the key for the tiller ya puckhead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell that to "guy who likes to grumble" - he'd be soo much better at tilling than I am! It's slow going anyway but never know, those tomatoes might be up and running by mother's day!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!