Saturday

Outdoors Again.
















The rain stayed away today making it a perfect day to plant a whole bundle of stuff. I purchased way too many plants at Oakland Nurserys' this week and they were starting to wilt/die.



There was no rhyme or reason to what I picked out - kind of like everything I do isn't it? However, I did try to stay away from anything that was purple. Really. You wouldn't believe the amount of purple in my garden right now. It's almost embarrassing. Not that I don't like purple but really, there's a lot of purple...


The thing is, if everything I've planted actually thrives then I'm going to be bursting at the seams. Oh, yes, that means a new plot is going to be coming soon! I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to put it though. Perhaps I'll make a chart of the backyard and you can give me a little bit of advice as to how I might spruce it up.


Anyway, the plants I bought this week are:

Sweet Potato Vine (Blackie) - dark purple/black leaves and light pink flowers

Amaranthus - Early Splendor - this one has the best leaves - gorgeous

Coleus - 3 varieties: Volcano, Black Dragon, and a Carefree Mix (ahh)

Purple Cornflower - the flowers look like birdies (the kind for badminton)

Black Eyed Susans - a two tone flower and a staple to any garden

Lobelia - Blue Moon (good beer - totally unrelated topics...)
Marigolds - yellow - I didn't pick them E. did. He thought they were pretty.

Centaurea - Amethyst in Snow - gorgeous flowers

Avens - Mrs. Bradshaw variety - nothing fancy just like the colour

Lobelia, Cardinal Flower - Queen Victoria - even the stems are nice

Balloon Flower in Blue - this was on my list (hurray). pretty little flowers

Coral Bells - for the shaded areas
Foxglove - also for the shaded areas. I love foxglove.

Coreopsis - tickseed. nothing fancy.
Lemon Verbena - also picked out by Mr.E. I think he thinks it's going to grow lemons.
Petunias - miniature pink - yes, petunias. I potted them and I love them. I used to really dislike them but there's something to be said about their colours.
Dahlia bulbs in orange and yellow. Don't judge me.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Vicarious planting! It's still too wet and cold here (in Seattle?) to start planting much but I have a huge flat of bright pink petunias waiting to festoon the window boxes waiting in the garage.

    I love how you play with colorful foliage. I'm thinking whatever (future) border I end up starting in the back yard is going to be all about the foliage - sooo... take notes for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, tons of vicarious planting and one stiff ol'lady!

    I used a red Coleus last year at the end of the garden and it was a great way to draw your eye down the rows. Plus, the flowers were pretty. The foliage on the amaranth is nice too - I'm hoping it stays that way as it gets bigger (supposed to be about 6 feet tall). We'll see what happens I suppose.

    I am sorry about all your snow. It's a late summer this year which could mean fall is going to be gorgeous. Let's hope!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!