Tuesday

ACK!

Gourmet magazine is folding! Did you know this? I'm a subscriber and have been for the last year (I wanted to wait to until I could read it in my own home before I subscribed, that'll teach me) - before that I checked the magazine out from the library and read through the pages just to find the "right" recipe to inspire me. This weekend it was the oven baked pretzel nuggets from the October issue (DELICIOUS). I've travelled all over the world with the writers of Gourmet. I thought it would be fun to actually go on a holiday and try to stop at all the little dives they go to. *sigh* Alas, they are no more and now I'm going to have to find a new magazine. Are the days of paper magazines gone? I REALLY dislike reading a magazine online. It just doesn't have the same appeal.

In the same regard, I have a fear that books in general are going to go as well. I cringe every time I see the commercial advertising the Kindle. Double ACK! How can you curl up in a cozy chair and fall into the pages of a Kindle? Yah, I know, they said the same thing about shopping on the World Wide Web. Although I love sending my thoughts out there for my friends to read I'm still not cyber suave. Heck, I'm still trying to get a hold on how to work my microwave and don't get me started on cable...

I'm not ready for the future. I'm not ready to let go of my travel companions at Gourmet. Sadly, it doesn't matter. It's all moving ahead anyway isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful magazine. It will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid most magazines will eventually be "online-only" and I will miss the real thing. I was never a Gourmet reader but most of my favorite magazines have already folded. I mourn Cottage Living and Domino.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!