Thursday

BBQ, Ice Cream and Fairy Flies.



Today was S.'s last day of school. He's officially graduated to Grade 2. It was a relatively uneventful year (thank goodness) aside from the occasional "friendship mishap" and his grades never slipped. Quite the contrary, because his teacher was patient, encouraging and incredibly understanding, it seemed as though his grades and his willingness to learn increased! This was a great sigh of relief to me - to have a child that loves his teacher and the academic subjects he's being taught.

The last day of school has always been a big deal for me - I suppose it would be to any child... At our house we try to nonchalantly make a big deal out of things. I'm really not a big fan of a large crowds so it's usually just a family affair - and today was no exception. When S. got home from school we decided to have some down time (ie. I needed a nap!). Then it was time for dinner = BBQ! - outside! Again, just the family (there's 4 of us in case you didn't know). But a big dinner with all the fixings. Then more playing... phew... after which E. inadvertently took a toy to the eye, which causes crying, which causes lying down, which, when you're little, causes sleep...

And now, it's just two grown-ups and one second grader... what to do? Slip out to the local ice cream shop for a sundae of course! Then, sit around eating together, talking together and watching the sun go down - and the fairy flies come out (also known as fireflies and/or lightening bugs). We've decided to call them fairy flies because they showed up first in the neighbours yard where we're sure the fairies live (Enid Blyton is well loved by me). Such a special place and one where explorers roam free and Bright Orange Tigers could *pop* up at any moment.

My husband and I watched as S. chased fairy flies, cursed the bunnies running through the garden and marvelled as a deer bounced through our yard not even a 100 feet from us. I have to admit it's one of those times I wish I could remember forever. I'm not sure where the time goes or how it is that I forget these moments but luckily for me my life seems to be filled with them.
Thanks be to God (sorry to get all religious but sometimes the moment just calls for it).

2 comments:

  1. That sounds utterly lovely. Happy summer break to S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. lovely is the word that came to mind for me as well. i do hope you can remember it forever.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!