Thursday

Cookie?

Thank you Kate Neckel for mentioning these...YUM! I thought about writing about the weather - it was warm here today +12C - but, I didn't think you wanted to hear how I was debating wearing shorts and how I went to On Second Thought to look for cute little skirts to wear.

I thought I could write about Lent - I gave up Chocolate Candies. Last year I gave up all chocolate and my friends said I was a BEAR! I couldn't do that to my new friends, I just met them!

I thought about letting you know the sad state of my television viewing. No one wants to know that...

So I asked my friend Robin what she'd like to see - she's the reason I started this blog in the first place - and thank you! - and she said she'd like me to write about what I make for dinner. You see, the one thing about me is that I very rarely eat out. One, I have two boys, who like to whoop and holler and I am not so quiet myself so the combination gets a little loud. Two, I can hardly ever justify spending money on something I know I can make myself for either very little money or very little effort. Really, how can you spend $12.99 on pasta with tomato sauce??? I just don't get it.

Anyway, I know I'm not the only one in on this. I know there are more of you out there. I think the hardest part is trying to come up with something that is both nutritious AND will be eaten by my kids. Ha Ha Ha - have you stopped laughing yet? It's not always that hard. Pancakes with fruit (add a little wheat germ or flax seed or whole wheat flour) or scrambled eggs and toast and some sort of veggie thrown in will get devoured. Another die hard is pasta or rice. Hide in tofu, chicken, eggs, and again, some sort of veggie and you've got a winner!

I'm currently loving the recipes of Ellie Krieger of Food Network fame. I'm not a big fan of the show but I picked up a cookbook at the local library and absolutely LOVE the recipes. The Fried Rice with Scallions, Edamane, and Tofu is to die for. My boys each had an extra bowl and thought the tofu was chicken! Who knew??

Tomorrow, after I tackle the loads (LOADS) of laundry in my basement, I'm going to make a treat! I was on Cup of Jo then somehow happened over to Kate Neckels blog who mentioned the delightful cookies you see above. Don't they look FABULOUS?! You can find the recipe here. Remember, throw in some wheat germ (not a lot, perhaps a tablespoon or some flax seed again, don't overdue it or you'll change the taste of the cookies all together) or try 1/4 whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour instead of just all white. You could also try using some chopped up dates instead of all chocolate chips (small changes...).

Anyway, make them, sit down and have a cup of tea and know, I'll be doing the same thing while trying to wrestle at least one cookie out of a little mans hand and at the same time wondering why laundry can't just do itself! (More on this topic to come...)

2 comments:

  1. To all of Tracy's new friends (well, first of all... you lucky biatches!) - make no mistake about it -- she may seem fine sans M&M's BUT the other shoe's about to drop!

    I can't wait to find out what you make for the kids. Last night was Saltines+butter for R, grilled cheese and noodle soup for C, and I'm not entirely sure A ever got fed. I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if I made a chocolate cake, could/would you eat it? Or would that be tempting fate? Granted, I've never made a chocolate cake in my life, but I like you...and hope that we can bend the rules a little! Oh, what I wouldn't do to keep my new friend from turning into a bear!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!