Thursday

Hoser


I have a confession. Are you ready? Are you bracing yourself? Alright, here it is: I'm Canadian! It's true. And so I wish you all a Happy Canada Day (it was yesterday but I was so busy enjoying it I didn't have time to blog). On Canada Day everywhere Canadians wake up to a busy day of BBQ and beer. There's probably a parade, some fireworks and inevitably, more beer. It's a grand tradition and one I miss terribly. One year, when I was young and probably stupid, I even flew home early from Europe so I could spend Canada Day with my friends. It's true and it was lame. I'm pretty sure we did nothing exciting and there probably wasn't even beer.

Now that I'm older and not living in my country I'd like to say that I'd never do that again but I would. I miss my home - not always 'cause there's no Target there - and I miss all those things that make Canadians Canadian - though I don't think you miss those things unless you do without them. So, I've compiled a list of things that I miss....
10. BBC's Coronation Street (yah, I know it's British but we get it in Canada and it's sort of an icon just the same).
And no mention of Hockey? I believe it is understood. I love, love, love Hockey Night in Canada (or at least the old anthem) - it's a Canadian tradition if ever there was one. But, I'm married to a hockey player, I have two sons that play hockey (in the yard) and I live in a town that has an NHL team - it's still in my life so I won't bore you with it...

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Hoser, glad you are here even if it means you have to miss out on good things like Canada Day and Canadian chocolate. There's always World Market, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canada Day! We celebrate it here as "K turns 42" Day but what the heck... they both involve beer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. R - I missed it!!!! Darn it. Tell schmoopy I said Happy Birthday - and a big ol' hug goes out to Ryan for tomorrow!!!! Happy 8th Ry-guy!! Miss you all, wish we were there to drink your beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schmoopy is enjoying all kinds of technological toys (he cracked some ribs a couple of weeks ago so there wasn't an awful lot of bike riding going on) and Ry-guy is planning a Lego-filled b-day for himself.

    Thanks for the good wishes - I hope you got some Canadian goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through the Obnoxious Green Door and let me say CANADA MISS YOU!

    Yes we had BBQ, (no beer for me but did have strawberry daq bought from the LCBO) and fireworks! Lots of kids running around with Canada flag tattoos on their foreheads.

    http://conversationsatthepark.blogspot.com/2009/07/timmy-is-coming-home.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!