Monday

Where'd you go?

It took me awhile to find my groove again but I'm hoping it's here and we're back at it! So hold onto your coffee/tea/juice/wine or what have you and let's get started shall we?

It's MONDAY! That means it's shopping day and meal planning. I have to admit it's been a bit of a smorgasbord sort of summer and I'm done with hot dogs and chips and all the crap I ate. I haven't even been diligent about hitting the farmers market. I know, I'm shaking my head too... However that's all going to change now that I'm back at the blog and feel some sort of irrational responsibility/guilt.

And so, I am happy to report that today's groceries came to a grand total of $58.65. Now, I did forget my list for the week (remembered the coupons - phew) and so I've left off the buttermilk and hot sauce I was hoping to get. Bummer. Maybe next week...

There is a LOT of yogurt on the list - as per the norm I suppose - and a variety of different flours. See? I'm trying my best to stay on that healthy eating thing... Mrs. Ser, I hope you notice I found Graham flour, at Giant Eagle no less and it's relatively cheap - $4.39 a box. For those of you not used to buying "Organic" flours and/or "unusual" flours, they tend to be quite pricey but you get used to it and just try to look for the best deals - if there's any to be had.

Dinner this week is as follows:

Monday: Chicken Soup - we had the neighbours over for dinner on Saturday and I've got a boatload of shredded chicken left. I'd make tacos or something but I think my family is done with chicken sandwiches...

Tuesday: Lasagna. Mmmm.....

Wednesday: Tofu, broccoli and rice with peanut sauce.

Thursday: Goyza potstickers, broccoli with almonds and udon noodles. The potstickers and the noodles were bought last week - sorry for not being with it...

Friday: Baked potatoes with cheese sauce and tuna cakes. This is going to be a hard one to get passed the kids. Mr. S despises all things fish related. I have no idea where he gets it.

Saturday: Perogies! Yes Ser, I'm going to get off my butthogs and cook up some!

Sunday: Well, I'm not sure yet... Hopefully something yummy that everyone will eat. I'm thinking some Donairs might be on the menu. I haven't made that in ages and I'm getting a bit of a cravin'.

5 comments:

  1. I'm here. Waiting patiently for my blogger friend to return... and she did. YAY! :)

    Menu sounds great, btw. Might try the Donairs myself... sounds kind of like a meatloaf sandwich, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! When I was a kid, we had a Magic Mill and made our own flour, first because my dad the master bread baker (and certifiable just-so type) couldn't get the consistent flour quality he wanted at the store and then because my dad the master bread baker discovered he was allergic to gluten so we needed to be able to grind our own non-wheat flours.

    I don't know quite what the point of this comment is... anyway, I missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So a donair is like a pita with yummy stuff in it? I've never heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah my lovelies! A Donair is meat so Robin you might want to pass on the experience... for the rest of you, it can be likened to a Gyro. The meat is very similiar (if not the same) but I find it's generally a little spicier. The one 'special' requirement of a donair is the awesome white sauce. It's sweet and salty and gooey and yummy!

    As far as I know you can find a Donair on the East Coast in Canada but I'm so out of the loop that you can probably find them almost anywhere now. If you happen to make it to Halifax on your travels might I suggest you take a little jaunt over to Pizza Corner and buy yourself a slice of Donair Pizza. I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.
    There's even a flickr pic of it!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreelau/1520789210/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Luke will be at your door on pierogi night, okay? Glad you found graham flour--I'll be on a hunt soon myself. Love these grocery posts, although I cannot figure out how you keep your bill so low. Makes me feel like I need to get off my butthogs and figure it out. (Never heard that before, but I think it is my new phrase. It makes me laugh.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!