Thursday

A Challenge.

While having a glass of wine with my neighbours last night (them, not me...) we had a small discussion on religion. *Gasping* It wasn't heated, no one came away with bruises and no ones feelings were hurt (I think... I hope - sometimes I'm an ass and don't realize it - REALLY). But a great topic was mentioned and one that I think is often overlooked (by me...).

In the sermon at their church on Sunday the minister asked them to try be grateful every day for something - 3 things in particular. One glitch: you should try to find something great in a situation that may not have been perfect. It's simple but not always easy. In fact, yesterday I was having quite a hard time thinking of just one thing and though I lead a pretty good life it's not always perfect. I probably made it far harder on myself as I didn't want it too be too easy... I thought that when you're thinking of being grateful you shouldn't pick something tangible (I'm so grateful for my lovely dog and his beautiful collar from Target), it shouldn't be something moronic (I'm grateful for my new vase from Anthropologie) and it shouldn't be something totally freakin' obvious (I'm grateful for my Lexus). Note: I don't have any of this except for the dog with the collar from Target... Instead, try to really test yourself. For instance, here's one of mine:

The other day I dropped A. off at work. As I'm driving, I come to an intersection and I have a green light (sound familiar?) and yet, there's someone (bi-yach) walking across the street in front of me. As I'm a calm and totally in control person, I quietly yell (loud enough for everyone in a 5 mile radius to hear), "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I HAVE THE GREEN LIGHT, NOT YOU!" Nothing big right? Except all my windows were rolled down and a university kid is on his bike right beside me. He burst out laughing. True (hangs head in shame). He could have looked at me in dismay but nope, he was chuckling like crazy... and it made me smile. I'm grateful he was there - for so many reasons. Can you imagine if he wasn't?

2 comments:

  1. Why oh why would a vase from Anthropologie (and the gratitude for it) be moronic?? Come on, a little support for the home team! (a-hem)

    And BTW, I LOVE that the kid laughed. That made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, for me gratitude's easy:
    1. My friend Tracy
    2. Salsa and chips
    3. Midol

    Not necessarily in that order ;-)

    What's tougher is learning not to balance all that gratitude with a healthy measure of grumping about what isn't as perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!