Thursday

That certain somewhere.



I'd like to think that we all have a place where we feel safe and relaxed. It could be your home, your car, your parents house or even an underground tunnel of some sort (in which case you really should talk to someone 'cause I don't think that's normal...). For me, that place is Camp. It's not my camp - it's my husbands or rather, his families. They've always had one but alas, I have not. It's not until I married Mr. A that I really started going up there and I have to say it seems like I always have.

Let me explain what Camp is. It's not your typical tent, lean-to or cottage. It's more like one of the cottages that your grandparents had. It's made out of logs. It has a wood stove and before the recently added 'New Camp' it was pretty darn rustic (no, thankfully you didn't have to pee outside - phew, I really dislike that and probably wouldn't go). Now, the 'New Camp' is a little less rustic but it still has the wood stove and it's still made of logs but it's updated with actual furniture and an Ecotoilet. It has a sauna and carpeting. It's practically a penthouse in Manhattan.... okay, not really...

Camp is a place where you wear plaid, flannel jackets when it gets cold (like in August). You have to cut wood and carry your garbage to the boat to take across and hopefully one of your friends has room in their town collection for it, if not you have to go stealth and put it into a city garbage can. Camp is a place where you eat bacon dipped in flour and drink the best ever camp coffee. Camp is a place where you go to bed smelling like sweat, bug spray and sunscreen. Camp is a place where you loose your highlights and your hair looks greasy all the time - because it is - so you have to just throw a hat on! Camp is a place where your kids don't run around like little crazy people because they're too busy going on adventures to see what they can see - and you don't have to go because it's camp and there's no one else around for miles!

You get dirty and you smell and you don't care. You sleep like you've never slept before and you have the best time just being. Lucky for me I had a few days at camp this summer. We've decided that next summer we're going for a couple of weeks. We physically work harder there than we do at home but we stress less and enjoy life more. I know summer here is almost over and I'm okay with that; I'll be anxiously awaiting next summer and a trip to the lake.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, except for the smelly part, but if you're o.k. with that then I'm good. If everyone is smelly, it's not such a bad thing. Just make sure you're not the only smelly one!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!