Saturday

Happiness in the simple things.

On my living room wall is a picture of Mr. A and I standing in front of a limo moments before the dinner of our high school graduation.

I have that picture hanging there not because it reminds me of how smoking (I kid...) I was when I was 19 or how thin I was or how absolutely HUGE my hair was. The reason I have that picture hanging there is because it reminds me of how simple life was for us then. No mortgage. No responsibilities. Just pure, simple joy and excitement of the moments we were about to witness.

Back then (oh, we were young), Mr. A and I would talk on the phone in the wee hours of the morning dreaming about what our lives would be when we were older. There was never talk of mansions and fancy cars. I don't even remember wishing to travel to exotic places. I do remember however, the one wish we had for our lives together - yes, we knew we would be together - a simple house with the white picket fence and a little dog. That's it. I think we just assumed we'd be happy. I think we just assumed there would be children. It was such a modest dream.

I forget that dream often, now that I'm older. I get caught up in the 'what I wants' and never does that feed your soul or make you happy. It's always the little things; the late night phone calls and dreams of togetherness, the giggles of the kids, the wag of the dogs tail. They are so easy to overlook.

4 comments:

  1. So true although our "moment" was sitting at a picnic table in North Cheyenne Canyon in Colorado Springs, probably eating Subway and enjoying the evening after our jobs where we made about $8 an hour, feeling like the richest people in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me love you all the more but also makes me miss you terribly. You're a light in this world, Tracy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!

    By the way, you forgot one martini back at Xmas - love the chocolate ones hubby makes me!

    Have one, you deserve it !

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Feel free!